July 19, 2018
The responsibilities of the Excavator/Hoe Operator include, but are not limited to:
- Equipment Operation
- Operate the excavator/hoe and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment, and clean, lubricate and refill equipment as necessary.
- Work with ground personnel in the excavation and installation process of laying pipe on line and grade.
- Ensure trench is excavated to the proper depth/grade.
- Responsible for placement of water, storm and sanitary sewer pipe in the excavation.
- Follow directions of ground crew regarding craning, gravel placement and grading.
- Cut grade with minimal time spent on excavating to ensure production is on schedule.
- Conduct trench work, which meets OH&S requirements.
- Operate Excavator/Hoe on public roadways, maintaining proper awareness of ones surroundings.
- Ensure a sound understanding of the issues involving ground disturbance.
- Be aware of proper rigging of pipe, manhole barrels, etc. and ensure safe work procedures are followed during the lowering of materials into the excavation.
- Perform routine cleaning and maintenance to ensure smooth operation of the Excavator/Hoe.
- Train new employees in the safe and efficient operation of the Excavator/Hoe.
- Operate other heavy equipment and other construction related duties as required.
- Must ensure a solid understanding of, and comply with the principles of the company’s Code of Ethics.
- Must examine situations in light of the principles of the Code of Ethics.
- Promote, execute and adhere to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees, subcontractors and consultants to adopt safety as a culture.
- Attend daily and weekly safety meetings and inspections.
- Work with Safety Department to investigate damage, incidents or near misses in the worksite, and ensure proper procedures are carried out according to the Company’s Safety Program.
- Work in a safe, responsible manner to not intentionally or unintentionally injure oneself, or endanger the well being of others.
- Participate as a vital team member, and contribute towards the success of the organization, which may involve the provision of other technical and administrative support, as required.
- Promote a team approach and maintain dialogue with all employees to exchange information and gather ideas.
- Collaborate with any project teams on other special initiatives, as required.
Education, Training and Certifications
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred
- Drivers License
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ experience within the road construction industry
- 2 to 3 years’ experience operating an Excavator/Hoe is required.
- Knowledge of Excavator/Hoes and other heavy equipment.
- Knowledge road construction materials, road construction processes and industry requirements.
- Understanding of computerized controls and electronics.