November 8, 2018
Goodwin William is hiring framing carpenters for a 4 -6 month project in the Petersburg area.
Framing carpenters erect walls, floors, and roofs for commercial, residential, and industrial buildings and other structures. Framing carpenters also install doors, windows, and hardware for construction projects. Framing carpenters work full- and part-time hours for construction companies, both independently and as part of a team, in indoor and outdoor environments of all types. Report directly to the construction foreman or project manager in charge of the building site.
- Erecting and Installing prefabricated wood frame panels.
- Measuring and accurately cutting building materials.
- Designing and assembling structures.
- Building structures from wood and supporting materials.
- Building frames for houses, walls, and other structures.
Framing Carpenter Duties and Responsibilities
Daily job duties for framing carpenters vary based on the types of building projects being completed and specific company policies regarding construction.
However, the main duties and responsibilities for framing carpenters are the same on any building site:
- Interpret Construction Plans
- Framing carpenters read blueprints, sketches, and drawings for carpentry projects of all types.
- Prepare Building Materials
- Erect and Install and prefabricated wood frame panels.
- Framing carpenters cut, shape, and install building materials to build frames for buildings and structures.
- Make Repairs
- Framing carpenters repair existing structures and flooring.
- Perform Finish Work
- Framing carpenters sometimes perform finishing construction work, such as hanging drywall and paneling over completed framework.
- Follow Safety Standards
- Framing carpenters adhere to all safety protocols while on the job, including wearing proper safety clothing and gear.
- Install Trim
- Framing carpenters fit and install trim on finished construction projects.
- Clean Sites
- Framing carpenters keep the job site clean and organized at all times by putting away their own tools and materials after use, sweeping up, and performing other cleaning tasks.
Framing carpenters read construction plans and make precise calculations to install framework for buildings and other structures. Construction companies and crews that hire framing carpenters look for professionals who possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Math skills – framing carpenters make mathematical calculations to determine the height, width, and length of materials needed to create structurally sound building components
- Physical stamina– because framing carpenters lift up to 50 pounds at a time and work in extreme environments while squatting, crawling, and climbing, professionals seeking this job need the strength and endurance to perform these tasks
- Critical thinking– framing carpenters analyze construction plans, spot potential structure problems, and find ways to make repairs on existing structures, all of which require good critical thinking skills
- Attention to detail– framing carpenters are detail-oriented professionals who can follow precise construction plans, spot potential defects in building materials, and take exact measurements
- Communication skills– framing carpenters use verbal communication skills to maintain job site safety and relay information while working with other construction professionals
- Knowledge of building code.
- Ability to lift/carry heavy pieces of material or structures.
- Use of saws and other power tools.
- Use of various hand tools (saws, hammers, clamps)
- Power tools (grinders, nail guns)
- Measuring devices (tape measures, carpenter’s square)
- Ability to pass all backgrounds and screenings.