Do you have experience as an ESTIMATOR in the commercial construction industry? We may have the perfect job for you!
Goodwin William Staffing is seeking ESTIMATOR (Commercial Construction) candidates to work with/for a client in Virginia Beach, VA. This is a full-time, direct hire position. The Estimator exercises independent and discretionary authority over the preconstruction phase of the project and ultimately is responsible for the assembly of thorough and detailed estimates that are profitable for each of the client's projects he/she estimates. The Estimator is granted full authority to perform the duties set forth. The Estimator must promote a harmonious relationship with the project team, including the Pre-Construction Manager, Project Manager, Project Engineer, subcontractors, vendors, and owners. The ultimate goal is to create a budget that provides the project team the tools necessary to complete quality projects, ahead of schedule, and within the budget. The Estimator is an essential part of the successful operation of each project. The best fit candidates for this position are individuals that have worked for a commercial general contractor and who have worked on a variety of commercial project types, including tenant build outs as well as group up work.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & DUTIES
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and meet physical requirements satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions unless it is an undue burden on the company or presents a direct threat to the health or safety of the individual or others.
- The Estimator is directly responsible for the daily discharge of these duties. The Estimator may coordinate certain tasks with other qualified personnel; however, the Estimator is ultimately responsible for all the work related to the assigned projects.
- The Estimator’s primary function is to assemble estimates of cost in detail for the assigned projects. They will work closely with the Preconstruction Manager to ensure material takeoff, subcontractor participation; scope management and coordination of general conditions are covered per the project contract and to the standards of the client.
- Study and understand the contract documents of each project to locate areas that are ambiguous or have the potential to present problems that may result in unforeseen costs or delays, including provisions of the general or special conditions. Identify any necessary requests for information.
- Study and understand the requirements on the bid form, bid bonds, payment and performance bonds, and insurance. Review all these requirements with the CFO to ensure all items are properly covered in the estimate.
- Study and understand all requested alternate pricing that must be provided. Ensure that the estimate sheet is set up to properly separate out costs for any alternates.
- Properly note any bid clarifications and ensure that our proposal clearly communicates these clarifications.
- Investigate the jobsite prior to bid to understand and evaluate site accessibility, existing conditions and any factor that might affect construction methods and costs.
- Develop an encompassing bid list and manage the distribution of information necessary to ensure accurate proposals for every facet of the project. Ensure that the client has all contract documents necessary to prepare a proper bid.
- Accurately estimate each assigned project and prepare all required documents for submittal of a proposal or bid for a new project working and coordinating with the client team as necessary.
- Responsible for providing the Pre-Construction Manager with all the project information regarding the project contract when the job is awarded. Review all winning proposals with the Pre-Construction Manager and assist in assembly info of Purchase Orders.
- Prepare a project schedule, if required, to be submitted to the owner at bid time.
- Resolve pre- bid design and detail problems with Owners, Architects, Subcontractors, Suppliers, or any other member of the project team, as necessary.
- Work with the Pre-Construction Manager to coordinate and ensure attendance at all required pre-bid meetings.
- Develops solutions to make sure that issues never become problems.
- Proactively builds and sustains relationships with clients as well as other team members.
- Proactively communicates with the clients, subcontractors as well as other team members.
- Has a comprehensive knowledge of the status of every project they are assigned to.
- Have a thorough knowledge of all contract documents utilized by the client.
- Mentor new members of the client's team.
- Perform all duties in a manner that is consistent with the client's Core Values of INTEGRITY, COMMITTMENT, COLLABORATION and EXCELLENCE.
Competency Statements: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Accountability - The ability to accept responsibility for actions & results; willing to take ownership
- Accuracy - The ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly, with limited errors
- Active Listening - The ability to focus completely on a speaker, understand their message and comprehend the information and respond thoughtfully
- Adaptability - The ability to remain flexible, being able to handle multiple demands and adapting to new situations
- Analytical Skills - Being skilled in and habitually using analysis and logic that allow you to observe, research and interpret a subject in order to develop complex ideas and solutions
- Autonomy - The ability to perform work independently to achieve company goals
- Communication - The ability to clearly and effectively present and understand ideas
- Detail Oriented - The ability to pay close attention to all the small particulars
- Honesty & Integrity - The ability to be truthful, sincere, and free of deceit and the steadfast adherence to ethical codes
- Initiative - The ability to activate oneself without being asked; to be resourceful and work without always being told what to do
- Innovative - The ability to be creative in problem solving; create new ideas
- Reliability - The ability to show others that you can be trusted to perform tasks consistently
- Time & Priority Management - The ability to effectively prioritize goals, plan and take actions to complete tasks in a method which allows for maximum efficiency and accuracy and meet established deadlines
- Working Under Pressure - The ability to stay focused and function efficiently in stressful situations; includes being able to delegate tasks to others and be willing to reach out for help when needed
5 years minimum commercial construction experience preferred. College degree preferable. Must have advanced experience with Microsoft Office products, and Adobe or Bluebeam. The ability to accurately perform quantity surveys and estimate the cost of materials, labor, equipment, and subcontractors’ work to ensure that all project components are included in the estimate. The ability to thoroughly understand and follow plans and specifications in the construction bidding process. Thorough knowledge of construction techniques and the imagination to derive the most efficient process while completing a task. Must be professional and polished in appearance and speech. The ability to efficiently carry out all the duties in this job description.
Primarily Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Occasional visits to jobsites that require some: o Climbing, kneeling, standing, seeing, visual acuity (color, depth perception and field of vision) balancing, crouching, walking, tactile sense, hearing, stooping, reaching, talking.
These functions, duties, qualifications, and requirements are not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required, and are not meant to restrict initiative, but rather to define minimum responsibilities. These job requirements may be altered to suit the needs of the Company by the President.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $80,000.00 - $110,000.00 per year